Friday, 3 October 2014

Skinny Shaming...Let's Talk About That Bass

Hi everyone! 

So I'm loving Meghan Trainor's song 'All about that bass' but who isn't?! It's got over a hundred million hits on youtube in about 3 months! CRAY! The world does seem to have gone booty mad this year, so in honour of that I've included a picture of my big fat bass which I wasn't always comfortable with by the way and have spent most of my years trying to hide!

I love Meghan's voice, and her cute little song about loving your shape even if you don't look like a barbie doll. It's cute! And it's pop music. The best thing about the song of course is that it's a catchy melody with catchy production, and a catchy hook. Catchy being the operative word. But of course there's always someone who is going to have a problem with SOMETHING when it's popular. I've noticed that the lyrics of the song have been getting negative press. Some have gone as far as to say it's anti-feminist. When forced to look at the lyrics in a serious manner (something I hate to do with pop music), I can see where the discontent comes from....




With lyrics like "Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top" , you've gotta love the girl! She's telling us we're completely perfect whatever our size may be-yay! Oh but wait...she then goes on to say "boys like a little more booty to hold at night". Ah. So those with no 'booty' can count themselves out, they aren't perfect, and worse than that, they aren't desirable to boys! And boys of course dictate whether or not we feel good about ourselves. Yikes, this song is nose-diving fast!!! Don't get me started on the 'skinny bitches' line....It's all gone wrong! Skinny shaming is of course, just as bad as fat shaming. Sigh.

So the song isn't perfect lyrically, and I can see that as much as it elevates one type of lady, it criticizes another type which kind of defeats the object of the song. I guess my feelings on this are...can we just let the curvy ladies have this one? By that I mean-every time we open up magazines and watch music video's we see a form of physical perfection that is unattainable for the majority of people on this planet. To be the type of skinny to be a catwalk model is just not realistic for most people and yet this is the image and ideal that is rammed down our throats all the time. We all know that the camera adds 10 pounds, so the people we see on film and on TV are often so much thinner than you would expect just because they have to fit in with that accepted image. Larger people are looked down upon in the entertainment industry and that's a fact. Whether it's music, fashion, or TV, anything over a UK size 8 is considered plus sized. So I just kinda feel like, let's let Meghan, and all the other girls who are slightly bigger than the magazine girls have this one. It's one song, and yes we've seen a lot of songs about booty this year, and most of them with questionable morals, but part of me just thinks that it's helping different shapes be more acceptable on screen, and that can only be a good thing right? I'm not excusing skinny-shaming though! 


What do you think? Let me know in the comments!

Flying kisses!

Anita xxx